Saturday, November 20, 2010

Girlfriends

I love my husband with all my heart.  I wouldn't trade him for anything.  I enjoy our time together immensely.  He is, in fact, my best friend. But I'll tell ya what, there's nothing like spending some quality time with my girlfriends.

It sounds almost silly to call them 'girl' friends when, truth be told, they are some of the most mature, insightful, interesting and entertaining women I know.  With them, there is no need to put on airs or puff up reality.  They know from experience that it's possible, even probable, to love a man with all one's heart and still be routinely frustrated by him.  They know that, no matter what I say, I do not really want to strangle, throttle or beat senseless any of my children.  They know that a clean house is both subjective and often overrated.  They know all this because, while our lives are all so very different, they are somehow still all so very much alike.

Married or single, little kids, big kids or no kids at all, working both inside and outside the home, thin, fat, tall, short, mild-mannered or boisterous...none of that matters.  When we get together, somehow what makes us different is less important than what makes us alike.

We understand that life is precious.  Accidents happen.  Miracles do too.  We know that when little dreams come true, big ones seem possible.  We know there's strength in numbers.  We know that the same person who will laugh with you over the most mundane things will also cry with you when your world falls apart.

With great friends, you can pick up right where you left off whether it's been an hour or a month since the last time you spoke.  There's no scorecard or seating chart or pecking order to worry about.  It's just easy, natural.  Come-as-you-are, be-who-you-are.  Sit and stay a spell.  You know what I mean? 

It's about venting over the struggles and stresses of life and knowing they get that you're just letting off steam.  It's speaking your mind and not being offended when they speak theirs.  It's about agreeing to disagree sometimes.  It's about being genuinely happy for their successes and just as genuinely hurt when they hurt, sharing the good times and the bad.

These relationship are developed through long phones calls, during shopping trips and over good meals.  They are tested by time and each participants ability to judge softly and support firmly.  They are rare and special treasures, not to be taken for granted.  So to the women I call 'friends', thank you for making life a little sweeter and the load a little lighter.  You bring so much richness to my life.

2 comments:

  1. Now that I'm working f/t outside the home, yet still trying to homeschool, I rarely get the chance to hang out w/my girlfriends. It's tough. I miss them. And everyone seems to be too busy to want to connect. So thank God for your girlfriends. I'm beginning to think it's a rare thing to have friends. Isn't that sad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful for those times together when we are able to just sit and visit and catch up on whats going on or when we take the time to have a meal together or take an impromptu shopping trip. Those are the most fun times for me. I work long hours, and sometimes think that that the evening or weekend will never get here. I so look forward to the times that are spent with close friends and family. Thank you for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete