Saturday, July 9, 2011

Going Topless

I am a woman with curves...and rolls...and bulges...and some very gelatinous underarm flaps.  But I am aware of these imperfections in my figure and do my best to enhance...or at least cover...the parts of my body that are best not exposed to the general viewing public.  I have discovered, however, that middle aged men do not seem to share the kind of self awareness about their bodies that inspires more clothes rather than less.   


While visiting a local ice cream shop with my teenage son, we were greeted, not so pleasantly, but a rotund little man who had to be mid-sixties if he was a day.  He stood squarely in front of the entrance all the while wrestling with an inside out t-shirt that he managed to get right side out but then proceeded to struggle getting over his big 'ol head and down around his basketball-esque belly.  As I stood there like some kind of dessert deprived hostage, I couldn't help but wonder why he was going topless in the first place.  


It sadly wasn't the first or the last time this thought crossed my mind.  There was the similarly shaped and identically dressed man perched proudly on his riding mower on my way home.  There was the man riding his bike as I came into town who's hair had all left his head only to relocate with a vengeance on his back.  There was another guy with his shirt flung over his shoulder as he, proud as a peacock, strutted past the house.  


I just wanted to yell out...cover it up already!!  There's a time and a place where I'm willing to tolerate a little more exposed flesh than others...no matter how flabby or excessive that flesh might be.  The beach, the pool, the privacy of my own home.  But in general, I do not personally find the bare chest of a middle aged man to be a thing of beauty.  I understand for them, that's not likely the motivation for baring it all from the waist up, but seriously fellas...consider the fact that you do have an audience.  


Unless you're cut...buff...ripped...most women (regardless of age) prefer a well dressed man to a nearly naked one.  Just ask ZZ Topp...or any man in uniform.  So whether your sporting boobies big enough for a B cup and a rock hard beer gut...or your just shapeless and sagging...PUT A SHIRT ON WILL YA!!  



1 comment:

  1. LOL! I hear you on this one! We have a drunk who lives next door. He's likely in his upper 50s, but looks like he is 70s-ish. He has long, scraggly gray hair, and NEVER wears a shirt. When we see him, we sarcastically say, "There's God's gift to women...." It's just gross! My 15 yo dd is REALLY grossed out by it.

    ReplyDelete